Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Why I Have Been MIA

                                                                                   My Daddy and my baby Mako

I know it has been awhile since my last post. I have lots of things on my mind to write about but I haven't had the chance to these past few days. Here's why...

Sunday (Apr 15) - My cousin sent me a message through Facebook informing me that my Dad was rushed to the hopital because he collapsed. I also got an early morning text message from my older brother telling me the same thing. I immediately called home to ask how Dad was doing. The information I got were: very high fever (40C above) with chills, high blood pressure, and severe UTI.

My brother and I agreed that since Dad was already in the hospital, the infection would be taken cared of via antibiotics. So I just checked on Dad from time to time thinking that he'll be okay. By the way, my Daddy is based in Roxas City (Region VI), our hometown. To get there, one has to either ride a plane or a ship.

For the nth time, I wished limang kendeng lang Roxas City na.

Monday (Apr 16) - Dad was still having high fever with chills. Hindi daw siya makakilala ng tao kapag mataas na mataas ang lagnat niya. Another additional diagnosis was pneumonia.

Side story: My Dad is an accountant... a very smart and hardworking one. Workaholic talaga si Dad. One important rule he always taught me even when I was in school was to always make sure that deadlines are met. At kailangan, maganda/maayos ang gawa mo...something you can be proud of. 'Yung hindi mo ikakahiya.

Anyway, back to what happened last April 16... I found out that Dad has been working really hard these past few weeks because of the tax season. So hard that he didn't get enough rest despite having fever. Ganyan ka-workaholic ang tatay ko. Because of this, fatigue and stress were also considered culprits for Dad's condition.

I was getting worried about Dad but I kept reminding myself that it has only been one day since his confinement and perhaps the medicines haven't kicked in yet that's why he was still having fever and high blood pressure.

Tuesday (Apr 17) - I called home again and found out that they still did not see any improvement. Dad was still having high-grade fever (40C above) with chills. Nagdedeliryo pa rin everytime he has fever. His blood pressure was still high. I was also informed that his doctor asked for kidney ultrasound to check Dad's kidneys because he was complaining of sharp lower back pain.

I was getting very worried and wanted to fly home to Roxas but my brother and I agreed to wait for the results of the ultrasound before deciding if we need to fly home. Mahal kasi ang airfare kapag malapit na ang travel date plus we both have very busy schedules at work and it was the baptism of my brother's daughter that coming Sunday (Apr 22).

I asked my cousin in Roxas to check on my Dad and get all information she can get from the nurses and the doctors. We have been asking for the doctor's number so we can call him and talk to him directly about my Dad's condition but somehow, we couldn't reach the doctor.

Later, my cousin texted me the information she got from the nurses looking after my Dad - high-grade fever with chills, pneumonia, severe UTI, high pus cells, left kidney has stone, right kidney okay, prostate glands inflamed, high blood pressure, and high fbs. She also felt that we perhaps we need to talk personally to the doctor about my Dad's condition because he didn't look well when she visited.

That was it. I knew I had to go home to see my Dad. You see, my Mom and my younger brother are now living in the US. My kuya and I are here in Manila. Noone is there to look after my Dad. I just had to come home.

I composed myself and talked to my boss about my Dad's condition and my need to file for emergency leave for the rest of the week so I can fly home and take care of my Dad. I was very thankful when my request was granted.

My kuya also decided to go with me. That night, he got us tickets to Roxas City.

I flew to Roxas City last Wednesday (Apr 18) and stayed there until Saturday (Apr 21). I have nothing much to talk about the trip because we mostly stayed in the hospital looking after Daddy.

The following day (Apr 22 - Sun), we attended the christening of my very cute niece, Maya Andrea.

Then Monday came and I became doubly busy because I had a lot of catching up to do at work.

So now you know why I have been missing-in-action (MIA).

As of this writing, my Dad is already recovering at home. I think he just waited for me and my kuya to go back to Manila before insisting to go home. Last time we talked, he admitted that the doctor only agreed to let him go home provided that a nurse will check on him from time to time and inject his medicines. Haynaku, Daddy.

I continue to pray for Dad's recovery. I still wish na sana limang kendeng lang, Roxas City na.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! :)