Saturday, March 31, 2012

Secrets of A Working Mom


I am a working mom. I have three boys aged thirteen (13), eleven (11) and three (3). I am a wife. I have a household to manage. I also work as a senior research analyst during the day. I love my job. I love my family. How do I keep up with all the things that I have to do? Here's a list of the things I usually do to keep my sanity and make sure that everything goes well at work and at home.

(1) Identify major things that need to be accomplished for the month. I have a calendar where I write all the birthdays, important school and office events, and due dates of bills that need to be paid for the month. This helps me a lot in time management and budgeting as well as in planning activities/vacations/trips for the family.

(2) Apart from the monthly calendar, I also make a daily list of the things that I need to do for the day.

(3) I have accepted the fact that I cannot do everything alone. Because of this, I have learned to identify which tasks I can delegate to other members of the family (including our household helper) and which ones I have to attend to personally.

(4) I report for work early and usually leave the office on time. Yes, I leave the office on time but I work really hard during the hours that I am at the office. The result? I never miss deadlines but I get to have dinner with my boys.

(5) Weekends are for my family. Para kaming value meal kapag weekends. Inseparable, they say.

(6) I try to plan for at least two family getaways/vacations/trips in a year. Hubby and I believe in making memories and these trips have always brought the family closer.

(7) Hubby and I make sure we have time to be "hubby and wife" naman. We go out on dates every chance we get. Plus, we both love running so we join running events almost every week.

(8) I attend PTCs to keep myself updated of my sons' performance and behavior in school. I also give my contact numbers to the teachers and tell them that I would appreciate getting feedback (whether positive or negative) about my children.

(9) I try to find time to do the things I love to do like blogging and keeping in touch with my friends via Facebook.

(10) Even though I am a planner by nature, I save some room for spontaneity. This keeps the fun and excitement in the family.

There. I hope that this will, somehow, help other working moms. Marami mang kailangang gawin, kaya natin 'to! We're too blessed to be stressed! :)

12 comments:

  1. Great post! Your tips are applicable to everyone. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! This is inspiring. I don't have children yet.. I hope I can be agood mom too, someday. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you will also be a great mom, Ness. Thanks for visiting my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this post. Very inspiring and insightful especially for those getting married soon! Anyway, talking about marriage, I made a blog post about Wedding Day Emergency Kit. Hope you can share your experience during your wedding too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chef Fresh. Thanks for visiting my blog! I read your post about Wedding Day Emergency Kit and left a comment there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire people who find time to spend with their family.
    Kudos for you as a great mom.
    God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! You know, I am currently a SAHM. I've been a WAHM for only a month in my life. Hubby and I agreed I stop working after giving birth. Anyway, I am not sure when will I start working again cos I am planning to continue my graduate studies.

    Thanks for the visit! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting my blog, Mrs Kolca. Like you, I want to continue my graduate studies, too! God bless you and your family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very inspiring post! Although I'm not a mom yet, but your posts echoed what my mother must have been going through. Kudos to all mothers out there! :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)