Thursday, September 3, 2009

Some Pointers on Breastfeeding (Part 1)

There are so many things that can be written about breastfeeding and while I am trying to put together the things I have gathered through personal research, I will share the ones I have learned through experience.

During pregnancy and the first few weeks after giving birth:
1. Read. Read. Read. Knowledge is power. You will know how to address your breastfeeding concerns when you educate yourself (as much as you can) about breastfeeding.
2. Equip yourself well. Like pregnancy, you will also go through many phases when breastfeeding so I suggest getting a book solely about breastfeeding to guide you along the way. Now you don't have to spend so much. That's what book sales are for! I found a copy of "The Nursing Mother's Companion" in one book sale store for only PhP70. It became my breastfeeding bible...quick reference to questions I had and quick fix for every discomfort as well (like sore nipples, plugged milk ducts, etc).
3. Having a partner who also believes in breastfeeding is also a great help. He will help you resist the temptation of resorting to formula.
4. Surround yourself with supportive friends and relatives. Learn from the experience of friends who have been there.
5. Be open to your OB-Gyne about your decision to breastfeed your baby so that necessary arrangements may be done with your hospital of choice.
6. After giving birth, you may think about having formula milk in the house, just in case. I had the same idea in mind during the first day. Up to now, I thank my hubby for reminding me about the things I have read about breastfeeding and for assuring me that my milk will come and our baby will be okay. And he was right. Having a can of formula in the house will only lure you to bottlefeed your baby and during the first few weeks when you are still adjusting to the routine (spelled out as engorged breasts and sore nipples), I tell you, that can of formula milk in the house will be a very tempting option. So make it easy on yourself... ban the can of formula in the house and give yourself a full chance to provide nourishment to your baby.
7. Nursing brassiere that fits well will also make breastfeeding easier for you because it has removable cup flaps providing easy access especially when breastfeeding in public.
8. Nursing pads will save you from milk stains on your blouse due to leaks. There are washable and disposable ones available in the market. Whichever you may choose to use, the bottomline is to make sure they're clean and changed often to avoid infection. I use Pigeon's disposable nursing pads. A box containing 36 individually wrapped nursing pads costs PhP300-400.
9. During the first few days, as milk comes in, your breasts will suddenly become engorged. The better choice is to nurse, nurse, nurse. You may also gently massage your breast while the baby is nursing to help relieve the discomfort.
10. Breastfeeding may be painful during the first few tries. Check if your baby is latched on properly. Like you, your baby is also getting used to breastfeeding so the important thing is to try and try until both of you have mastered the correct position and latch. For sore nipples, air drying them after feeding worked for me.

More tips on my suceeding posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! :)